What is your next travel destination? When we are home, that is probably the number one thing we are asked. There is a basic process we go through to choose our next travel destination, which we outline below, along with highlights of 18 of our favourite cities or road trips. Prepare to be inspired.
Often, it is the city that picks us (family, friends, key events). However, even when a portion of our travel is determined by the universe, we usually tack on an additional adventure on either end. It’s a big world, and, so far, we have explored portions of 65 countries and countless cities. Yet, there is still so much more to see.
The questions we ask before we choose our next travel destination
- Are there any family events around the world that we want to attend?
- When can we travel? Are there events at home that we can’t miss?
- If we have to clear with an employer, when can we go?
- Which hemisphere will match the season I prefer?
- Are there any major holidays that will affect my travel plans, either that I want to attend, or avoid?
- Who am I travelling with, and where do they want to go?
- What is my budget?
- Do I want to travel on my own, go on a tour, or get a guide? (See our travel resources page for the list of the companies we use.)
- What are the travel restrictions for my next travel destination choice (visa or immunization requirements)?
- Or, do I simply want to stay home and enjoy a staycation?
Visas and entry
Entry requirements vary by both your nationality and destination. If you hold a passport from either Japan or Singapore, you can access most countries without a visa. Check the full Henley Passport Index to see how your country’s passport ranks.
If you want to know if you need a visa for your next destination, you will need to check with your state department.
Trending on Albom Adventures
General advantages of each season
- Northern Hemisphere: Jun-Aug
Southern Hemisphere: Dec-Feb
- Hot temperatures with extreme heat in some areas.
- Longer days
- Often peak season crowds.
- Requires booking ahead.
- Northern Hemisphere: Sep-Nov
Southern Hemisphere: Mar-May
- Temperatures cooling.
- Generally, my favourite time to travel.
- Often Swing season.
- Less planning is required.
- Northern Hemisphere: Dec-Feb
Southern Hemisphere: Jun-Aug
- Chilly, often cold temperatures.
- Shorter days
- Often less crowded (Unless a ski destination)
- Requires less planning
- Northern Hemisphere: Mar-May
Southern Hemisphere: Sep-Nov
- Temperatures warming.
- Often more rain.
- New growth can trigger allergies.
- Often swing season.
- Less planning is required.
Things to know about your next travel destination before you go
- Emergency number
- Official language
- Credit cards accepted
- ATM machine availability
- Electricity and connectors used
- Telephone country code
- Water: Is tap water safe to drink?
Albom Adventures has travel guides for many countries. Use the search box in the upper corner to find the country you are considering. They include the information above, as well as the best time to visit, key holidays, visas and entry requirements, safety, and more.
Travel safety tips
We practice common sense around safety issues when we travel. If we wouldn’t do it at home, it isn’t suddenly safe to do it overseas. And for us, living in one of the safest countries in the world, we often need to take more precautions when we travel.
Too often we see travellers being careless, and then not happy with the result. We have written these safety guidelines for travelling in South America that included both our general guidelines, as well as some specific to various regions.
Save for later
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and save it for later on Pinterest.
What will be your next travel destination?
You might also like …
Disclaimer: We are frequently provided with complimentary entrances, tours, or sample items to aid in the writing of Albom Adventures. However, the opinions expressed here are strictly our own.