We are busy planning a three part epic USA adventure, which starts in less than a month.
Part 1 US Highlights: Phoenix AZ, Chicago IL, West Palm Beach FL.
Part 2 Panama Canal Cruise: Adding six countries so it’s actually much more than a USA Adventure. We have ports in Aruba, Columbia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Mexico, and Canada.
Part 3 Pacific Northwest (the focus of our current planning and this article): Disembarking in Vancouver, we will travel via Amtrak to Seattle and then to Portland spending a couple days in each city.
From Portland we will drive out to Astoria Oregon, then take several days to enjoy the 18.5 hours of coastal driving to San Francisco. To date we have only seen photos of most of the rugged Pacific Northwest coastline. It’s hard to believe we lived in San Francisco for so long and never ventured much more than an hour north.
The more we research, the more we discover to see, and there is never enough time. Fortunately, many travel bloggers have made the journey ahead of us. We are especially grateful to have extensive guidance from travel photographer and blogger Greg Vaughn award winning author of Photographing Oregon.
Here are a few of the highlights we hope to see on the coastal portion of this USA Adventure. Presented here in the order we should come upon them as we drive from Astoria Oregon to San Francisco California:
- We would love to meet up with friends and fellow bloggers along the way . . . and would happily accept any invitation of a place to stay (as long as there are no cats, sadly I am deathly allergic).
- We already have a house sitter locked in for the days we are away, so sorry, we cannot do a home exchange this time.
- This is our first major adventure as “empty nesters”. It will be interesting to discover how much we viewed the world through the eyes of our children. Will it all seem different this time?
- I am attempting to do this all with carry-on, although hubby may take a 65 litre backpack to carry my overflow.
- We may be without internet for pockets of our travel, so if we vanish for a while, it’s probably fine.
- If you have been following for a while, you know that I am really happy to be traveling again.
Have you traveled the Pacific Northwest Coast? Do you have any special places to recommend to us? Will we see you on our USA Adventure?
Seven ridiculously simple tips that WILL improve your photos
Whether you shoot with a phone or a DSLR, let me share my secrets.
Subscribe to Albom Adventure's Travel Tips newsletter and download our free ebook: Take Better Travel Photos By Rhonda Albom