“Welcome Darlings, are you here for the show?”
From the moment we entered Caluzzi our lives were temporarily transformed to one with a bit more flamboyant energy, jubilant laugher, and energetic fun. Restaurant, bar, and cabaret, it’s all here, rolled up into one full evening of themed entertainment. The “girls” are larger than life, animated, hilarious, warm, and friendly. Drag Queens are like that, I had been told before we arrived.
The club is intimate, seating a maximum of 60 guests at large tables containing groups of friends. As a couple, we were the smallest group, and had our own table. Yet we were equally part of the interactive fun.
First we met our MC for the evening, a vibrant “girl” named Kola Gin, with a fiery personality and height enough to tackle an All Black. She and the other girls kept us giggling through dinner, often with the type of humour that has the manager recommending the club for adults (16+).
Between each course some randomness, games, or other entertainment and always hearty laughter. After dinner we are told to stay in our seats for the cabaret show, to prevent 125 kg of dancing drag queen in stiletto heals from stepping on our feet.
After the cabaret show the bar stayed open and the fun continued as we were invited to dance the night away.
Practical Information and Overall Impressions:
- Caluzzi Bar and Cabaret is located on 461 Karangahape Rd. While it’s easy to find, parking can take a while. We found a free spot on a close-by side street.
- Bookings are essential and can be done via email or via the phone: 09 357 0778.
- While we had a great time, I think it would have been even more fun in a larger group, which is the norm for Caluzzi. If you are going as a couple, consider asking if they have a communal table.
- It is obvious that the “girls” love being there and that they genuinely care about each other. That warm family feeling caries through, enhancing the experience for everyone.
- This is not a show for small children.
- Although we were guests of the club, I think the $65 entry is one of the best deals in town.
Don’t Miss: 25 Things to Do in Auckland at Night
Are you ready to have some Caluzzi fun? Have you been to Caluzzi or another other drag queen show?
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and Pin it:
Disclaimer: While I was provided with entry, the opinions expressed here are strictly my own.