If you are lucky enough to be in Auckland in late spring to early autumn, head to the fragrant and vibrant Parnell Rose Gardens. Over 5,000 roses bloom annually in the park, also known as Dove-Myer Robinson Park. The roses begin to bloom in October and are masterpieces of nature by mid-November for the annual Parnell rose festival, which will celebrate 29 years in 2022.
Featuring both new and old rose varieties, the gardens are a highlight in Parnell, Auckland’s oldest neighbourhood. An eclectic mix, some of the flowers have been bred by internationally celebrated rose breeders.
Let Auckland inspire you …
About the Parnell Rose Gardens
Dove-Myer Robinson Park is one of many lovely urban parks in Auckland.
- Pedestrian access to the park is available 24 hours
- Entry is free
- Aside from the roses, the park is also home to the oldest manuka and the largest pohutukawa tree in Auckland
- The adjacent Nancy Steen Garden features excellent examples of heritage roses that are typically in bloom from October to April
Nearby things to do
- There are plenty of options for Parnell restaurants, cafés, shops, galleries or people-watching in the charming neighbourhood surrounding the park, often referred to as Parnell Village, Auckland.
- Also nearby is the Holy Trinity Cathedral, the world’s only example of a Polynesian-gothic style church.
- If you love flowers, don’t miss the Auckland Wintergardens. Also free to enter, it is on the Auckland Domain, near the Auckland Museum.
- A visit to Parnell rose garden is just one of the many free things to do in Auckland.
Getting to Dove-Myer Robinson Park
Some links on this page can save you up to 70%. We earn from qualifying purchases through partnerships or affiliate programmes.
- The Parnell Rose Gardens are off of Gladstone Road in the Auckland neighbourhood of Parnell.
- There is both street parking and car parks inside the gate.
- On the property sits a charming cottage used for weddings or other private functions. You can see it behind the roses in the image below.
- Across Gladstone Rd and about 200 metres from the park is Rosie, often referred to as the Parnell Rose Garden Cafe.
- The Auckland Hop-on Hop-off bus stops at these Parnell gardens and is a great way to enjoy the city. Check for discounts on the Auckland Hop-on Hop-off bus here.
Save on your NZ trip with these resources
We usually start with aggregator companies as they do the work for us by providing a list of options, prices, and reviews. However, we also added a few personal NZ favourites:
- Flights: we use Expedia for the best and cheapest flight options.
- Hotels: we use Booking.com as they consistently return the best rates and their reviews are from actual guests. However, for self-contained lodging in New Zealand, we use Bookabach.
- Cars and Campervans: we use RentalCars to find the best deals and dealer ratings. Use Jucy for small campervans.
- Activity discounts: we always check Bookme.com for discounts of up to 70% on selected tours, activities, restaurants and more.
- Travel Insurance: we start at InsureMyTrip as they are the best option to compare plans and find the right coverage for you.
Before you book the rest of your trip: Check out our travel resources page for more companies that we use when you travel.
We believe this list to be the best in each category. You can’t go wrong using them on your trip too.
Save for later
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and save it for later on Pinterest.
Have you been to the Parnell Rose Gardens?
More from Auckland you might also like … starting with these 75 free and nearly free things to do in the city
Hi Rhonda! Roses have to be my favourite flower and you sure have photographed some gorgeous ones here! Thank you for sharing them with us. The quality was so good I felt I could reach out and touch them.
The photos you shared are spectacular. In the gardens, they are impressive. My favorite rose color is coral or salmon. But I also like yellow and red. In fact, it’s hard to find any rose color I would not like.
Indah Nuria Savitri
Love all those roses..we have the UN Rose Garden here in NYC and I relaly enjoy it during summer. Cheers..
The yellow rose (I think it’s a rose is my favorite and absolutely gorgeous. What a wonderful picture thanks for sharing.
Absolutely gorgeous captures!!
I loved the pics – who wouldn’t? My fave was the fourth one. Those orangy-pinkish roses are so gorgeous and I love how the front ones are in focus and the ones behind are fuzzy. It’s so beautiful that it looks like a painting. Thanks for sharing !! 🙂
Gorgeous! I used to live in Portland, Oregeon which was famous for it’s roses. They don’t grow so well here in Georgia!
There is nothing more beautiful than a rose, to me it does not mater the color, only its beauty and smell, I love to bend and smell the roses! Karren
As to the Parnell Rose Gardens, Have I ever been there?
Girl, I got MARRIED in the Parnell Rose Gardens!!!
15 years ago, I married my Canadian husband and we are now living happily ever after in Canada.
I have tons of wedding photos taken in and around the Parnell Rose Gardens.
The ceremony itself took place in an area surrounded by a lattice wooden fence and a couple of benches like those I see in the last photo, and also a small fountain!!
How cool that you got married at the Parnell Rose Gardens. What an amazing location. Your photos must be really amazing.
The roses are just beautiful – I’d love to visit .. one day! It’s gloom here … still at least it’s ‘warm’ … so often we’re in frost weather already by Bonfire Night …
i love roses and your pictures are beautiful! right now I’m surrounded by yellow and red leaves so it’s quite ‘strange’ seeing gardens full of flowers!
What a beautiful display of color and beauty, Rhonda!
You take such stunning photographs. I really enjoyed this post and felt like I was there! Lovely shot of the foxglove.
those flowers are gorgeous.
What a beautiful garden! The roses are lovely, and you’ve captured some nice photographs of them. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. 🙂
I break for roses and take time to smell them.
Love the photos of the rose gardens and the roses. We may now make a visit there, haven’t been for quite a few years.
Love Michelle xxx
YES!! Your photos are gorgeous as always, but your joy is contagious! Thank you for sharing it with others. It’s a beautiful thing!
Your photographs immediately invoke memory scents, so strong that I literally smelled green grass, soil and the sweet scent of tea hybrid roses. Thank you for adding the digitalis too, as foxglove is ever one of my favorites.
Those flowers are so gorgeous, I can almost smell them.
Thanks for the pics, the rose garden looks lovely.
Beautiful photos of a wonderful garden.
Enjoy your time
The roses are beautiful!
And wonderful flower shots.
Cascia @ Healthy Moms Mag
Those roses are beautiful! Have a great week.
The flowers were nice.
Have a fabulous day. ☺
The Parnell gardens are so peaceful and beautiful. Lovely photos!
Those gardens look spectacular, I really love all those macro rose images especially the first one, stunning!
What a pretty garden, I would like to walk there too. The roses are gorgeous. Lovely post and images. Enjoy your new week!
Alex J. Cavanaugh
Great shots. The long, purple flowers are so vivid.
Beautiful close ups and colours I particularly like the yellowy/cream ones 🙂
Have a bloomingtastic day 🙂
wow! Stunning captures of roses and other flowers…The first photo is so beautiful and lovely.