Wellington New Zealand has great coffee. A moment inside the Mojo Wellington coffee roasting facility is all it takes to know why. Actually, we knew before we arrived. The earthy, nutty aroma that can only mean we are near a coffee roasting plant drew us in. It permeated the air with a mix of two of my favourites: coffee and chocolate, the aroma is distinctive.
It called to us, and we couldn’t resist. Jeff is really into coffee and roasting. He roasts his own beans and even took a coffee training (mini barista course) last year. Lead by our noses, we arrived at Mojo’s huge coffee roasting facility in historic Shed 13 on Wellington’s waterfront.
It’s a working factory, not an open to the public building. However, Jeff had to see how the big boys do it. We wandered inside an open door, asking permission to stay and take photos from the first person we saw.
Mojo has six significant origins of its beans (Guatemalan, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Colombian, Papua New Guinean and Tanzanian) plus several smaller sources. They roast 500 -600 kg of coffee beans daily at this facility in single origin batches of 5okg. This allows optimisation of flavour for each origin. The individual batches are then blended to create their signature blends. Here are a few more shots of the facility:
More on Mojo Wellington:
- Mojo does not offer public tours of this coffee roasting facility. We asked and were granted permission to enter and take these photos.
- Roasted in Wellington, Mojo coffee is a New Zealand brand.
- Mojo has 22 cafe locations in the capital city and an additional 11 in Auckland. At the time of writing this article, they are in Japan and China and hoping to enter the US market.
- In addition to their own cafes, many independent Wellington restaurants serve Mojo coffee.
- If you are in New Zealand, you can subscribe to Mojo for home delivery.
- While I am generally not a fan of chains, Mojo is one brand that I will select. It is consistently rich, smooth and exactly the way I think coffee should taste.
- Visiting Mojo is one of many Wellington activities that keeps us busy when we visit New Zealand’s capital city.
If you enjoyed this peek inside Mojo Wellington, please share it on social media and pin it: