I am pleased to say that I gained very little weight after 19 days eating onboard the Island Princess. We sailed from Fort Lauderdale through the Panama Canal and up to Vancouver. If you have never been on a Princess Cruise ship before, I am here to tell you the food is expertly prepared, appetising, and flavorful. The fear of gaining weight is real, but the choice was still my own.
Gluttonous, continuous eating onboard is possible, and sadly, I think it was the goal of a few of the passengers. We, however, opted to stick to three meals a day (plus morning coffee and an occasional afternoon tea). With few exceptions, all food is included in the cost of the cruise. The Island Princess had three themed restaurants that had a cover charge, plus passengers pay additional for espresso coffee drinks, soft drinks, bottled water, and alcohol.
My best tips for eating healthy on a cruise ship are below, but first, let me tempt you with a bit of food porn:
Are you wondering, how I cruised for 19 days, without gaining too much weight?
Sorry to say it, there is no secret, it’s the same as everyday life. Calories in versus calories out.
Best tips for eating healthy on a cruise
- Order a side of steamed vegetables with your dinner, even if it is not on listed on the cruise ship menu, they will make it for you.
- Similarly, order a plate of fresh fruit with your breakfast.
- Drink water, rather than soda throughout the day.
- If you don’t want to gain weight on the ship, you need to make healthy choices and get some exercise. The latter is easier, as there is both a gym and a walking track.
- Join some of the active onboard options like Zumba, line dancing, ballroom dancing, swimming pools, basketball court, and a 5K breast cancer walk.
- Personally, I upped my daily walking goal, striving for 15,000 steps per day on Fitbit Alta HR
Not sure which is the right fitness tracker for you? These are the ones I compared before I made my choice:
|Fitness Wristband Model||Image||GPS||Water resistance||Battery life|
|Fitbit Alta HR||No||No||Up to 7 days|
|Huawei Band 2 Pro||Yes||Yes, 5 ATM resistance||Up to 21 days|
|Samsung Gear Fit2 Smartwatch||Yes||Yes, 5 feet for up to 30 minutes (IP68)||Up to 3-4 days|
Tempted? Could enjoy 19 days eating onboard without gaining weight? Would you eat less, exercise more, or just worry about it when you get home?
PS: If you are also an adventurous eater in ports, be sure to carry Travel Insurance.
Disclaimer: In addition to VIP treatment onboard the Island Princess we were provided with many complimentary extras, including speciality dining. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own.
Here's the secret to packing light:
Download our free packing light checklist when you sign up for our newsletter.