I am pleased to say that I gained very little weight after 19 days eating onboard the Island Princess. We sailed from Fort Lauderdale through the Panama Canal and up to Vancouver. If you have never been on a Princess Cruise ship before, I am here to tell you the food is expertly prepared, appetising, and flavorful. The fear of gaining weight is real, but the choice was still my own.
Gluttonous, continuous eating onboard is possible, and sadly, I think it was the goal of a few of the passengers. We, however, opted to stick to three meals a day (plus morning coffee and an occasional afternoon tea). With few exceptions, all food is included in the cost of the cruise. The Island Princess had three themed restaurants that had a cover charge, plus passengers pay additional for espresso coffee drinks, soft drinks, bottled water, and alcohol.
My best tips for eating healthy on a cruise ship are below, but first, let me tempt you with a bit of food porn:
Are you wondering, how I cruised for 19 days, without gaining too much weight?
Sorry to say it, there is no secret, it’s the same as everyday life. Calories in versus calories out.
Best tips for eating healthy on a cruise
- If you don’t want to gain weight on the ship, you need to make healthy choices and get some exercise. The latter is easier, as there is both a gym and a walking track.
- Join some of the active onboard options like Zumba, line dancing, ballroom dancing, swimming pools, basketball court, and a 5K breast cancer walk.
- Personally, I upped my daily walking goal, striving for 15,000 steps per day on my Fitbit Charge HR.
- Order a side of steamed vegetables with your dinner, even if it is not on listed on the cruise ship menus, they will make it for you.
- Similarly, order a plate of fresh fruit with your breakfast.
- Drink water, rather than soda throughout the day.
If you are also an adventurous eater in ports, be sure to carry Travel Insurance.
Tempted? Could enjoy 19 days eating onboard without gaining weight? Would you eat less, exercise more, or just worry about it when you get home?
Please share on social media and pin this to including Pinterest:
Disclaimer: In addition to VIP treatment onboard the Island Princess we were provided with many complimentary extras. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own.
Seven ridiculously simple tips that WILL improve your photos
Whether you shoot with a phone or a DSLR, let me share my secrets.
Subscribe to Albom Adventure's newsletter and download our free ebook: Take Better Travel Photos By Rhonda Albom