Several years ago we hiked to the top of Mount Iron. It only took about an hour, and the views from this glacier-carved rocky knoll are rather impressive.
The 4.5 km loop track climbs 250m to reach the Mount Iron summit, and is labeled as an easy walking track. From my memory parts were steep, but none were difficult. These photos are from our last visit to Wanaka, a town in the lower portion of the New Zealand’s South Island. They were shot in September, which is early springtime in the southern hemisphere. We were living in Wanaka for the ski season.
If you find yourself in Wanaka, a hike up Mount Iron is one of my top two recommendations. The other is quite the opposite type of fun, a visit to Puzzling World, a rather unique optical illusion museum and giant maze. Both Puzzling World and the carpark for the Mount Iron Track are located about 2 km down the main road that leads in and out of Wanaka.
Did you know it snows in New Zealand? Have you been to the South Island? Have you hiked Mount Iron? Do these photos inspire you to travel?
Weekend Travel Inspiration is co-hosted by: me (Albom Adventures), Reflections Enroute, TheCrowdedPlanet, ContentedTraveller, Safari254, Families Go! and our newest member Malaysian Meanders. Also, don’t miss our new Weekend Travel Inspiration Facebook Page.
Ready, set, link!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration.
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it on Pintrest and other social media: