Travelling with two teens who are both former junior national snow sports champions in New Zealand, you know we had to stop at Ski Dubai. Both girls were really keen to give it a try and to able to say they snowboarded and skied in the desert.
Ski Dubai is about 4 times the size of SnowPlanet (New Zealand) and much more eclectic in its participants. With their abilities, they tend to get a bit bored quickly in indoor facilities, but they had to try it.
Here is Sarah’s reaction:
“I found it interesting, in a way. The real mountain is better, but there’s nothing like that in the desert. Ski Dubai is the biggest indoor ski slope in the world, including the first indoor black run and live penguins. My sister seemed to have fun throwing snow.
“The thing I liked most (apart from penguins) was that there was a chairlift, not a poma. Pomas aren’t as comfortable, and only one person can ride on each.”
Melissa agreed with her sister, she had to give it a try, and did find it boring.
All photos on this page © Rhonda Albom 2012, except where noted.
- Ski Dubai boasts 22,500 square meters of indoor ski area. The slopes range from beginner to advanced, plus there are tube slides, jumps, toboggan run, and live penguins (King Penguins and colony of Gentoo).
- Located in the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai. (While also one of the world’s largest malls, it is different from the Dubai Mall that is home to the Burj Khalifa.)
- Open every day from 10 am to midnight with longer weekend hours. Check here for details before you go.
- All gear is available for hire.
- Visit the official website.