A few eyes rolled when I suggested hiking Mount Victoria during our recent visit to Wellington, one of my favourite New Zealand cities. At 196 metres, it is taller than any natural point in Auckland, and the 360 degree views from the top are well worth the effort.
And effort it was. We were later told we had selected the most difficult path for hiking Mount Victoria. According to my Fitbit we climbed the equivalent of 107 flights of stairs.
Our trip to Wellington was fraught with emotion. We had to go as Sarah needed an interview to get her visa. She leaves in less than 2 weeks for her year long AFS student exchange in Argentina. With our other daughter heading off to University at the end of the week, this was it – our last family holiday together. Things will never be the same again. And we made the best of it; hiking Mount Victoria was just a small part of our adventure. More photos coming soon.
- If you don’t want to walk, the number 20 bus will take you to the top.
- There is plenty of free parking at the top, should you be in Wellington with a car.
- Just when you think you are exhausted, and can’t take another step, a jogger will breeze by as if it were flat.
- Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring fans will want to know that part of Mount Victoria served as the outskirts of the Shire during filming.
Does hiking Mount Victoria appeal to you, or would you take the bus? Have you been to Wellington?
This post is shared for:
Weekend Travel Inspiration is co-hosted by: me (Albom Adventures), Reflections Enroute, TheCrowdedPlanet, ContentedTraveller, Safari254, Families Go! and Malaysian Meanders. Don’t miss our new Weekend Travel Inspiration Facebook Page.
Ready, set, link!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration.
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
If you enjoyed these photos, please share the article on social media including pinterest:
Seven ridiculously simple tips that WILL improve your photos
Whether you shoot with a phone or a DSLR, let me share my secrets.
Subscribe to Albom Adventure's newsletter and download our free ebook: Take Better Travel Photos By Rhonda Albom