We have been to some eerie places, no question about it. Capela dos Ossos, the Chapel of Bones in Evora Portugal tops our freakish list. Entering the macabre world of this ossuary is like crossing into the Twilight Zone. The invitation over the door: “Nós ossos que aqui estamos, pelos vossos esperamos,” loosely translated: “We bones that are here, for your bones we wait.”
- According to Wikipedia, “The Capela dos Ossos was built in the 16th century by a Franciscan monk who, in the Counter-Reformation spirit of that era, wanted to prod his fellow brothers into contemplation and transmit the message of life being transitory, a very common spirituality theme summed up in the motto memento mori.”
- Heading to the Chapel of Bones? Don’t miss these 30 free things to do in Evora Portugal.
- The old historical portion of Evora is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- This chapel of bones is not one of a kind. There are ossuaries all over Europe.
- From our daughter: Postcard from the Chapel of Bones (written by Albom).
- If you prefer a guided tour, both Viator and Isango offers tours of Evora independently or as day trips Lisbon.
- If you are headed to Portugal, don’t forget to pick up a copy of Lonely Planet Portugal Travel.
- Check prices for Evora hotels at Booking.com.
- Eurail is an easy way to get to Evora. Check Prices and find the Eurail Pass that is right for you.
What is the eeriest thing you have seen? Have you been to a chapel of bones?
Please share this pin on Pinterest: